Search:

Friday, September 18, 2009

Coming Home

It was close to midnight and raining when I stepped out of the editor’s chamber. Generally I have to walk some distance but today, at the end of the lane, I saw a cab. Lucky me! In the darkness I could faintly see the driver trying to close the boot of the cab. I quickened my pace and reached him. He seemed to
be off duty for he did not have the regular uniform. But this was normal for drivers doing the night shifts. I was about to ask him to take me to my des
tination when he turned around. I felt as if I was hit by a brick! One of his eyes was swollen and under the
dim streetlamp, I saw that his pale shirt had some buttons missing. It also had dark patches on the front. I stepped back.
He kind of smiled at me strangely and said, “Madam, please don’t be afraid. I just got looted by some hoodlums. I have lost all that I earned today. I have to keep working.” He almost seemed to plead. I thought for a moment. The drizzle was now heading towards a downpour and I had little choice. “Hazra”, I said and hopped in.

The rain hardened. I was starting to feel sorry for the driver when suddenly, the cab screeched to a halt. “What happened?” I asked. “The boot has opened again madam. Give me a minute.” I turned around to check while he stepped out into the rain. I could see him trying to push down the
boot but it was as if something inside was pushing back. The boot suddenly opened up fully and hid my view. I could hear thudding noises, and the driver cursing under his breath. Then the boot was shut.
We reached soon. As I paid him his fare, he turned and looked. His eyes were like embers and his face had now swollen even more. Across its breadth ran four straight bloody marks, as if some animal had just clawed at it. His breathing was laboured and the cab suddenly seemed dingy and smelly. I stumbled out.
As the cab swerved and sped away, I thought I saw a fluttering blue cloth hanging out of its boot. It seemed like the end of a sari. But it was too late to scream.