Search:

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Never Ending Life

TODAY is the third day of her life and the man will come at any moment. But I will not let him inoculate my sweet little daughter. We shall hide somewhere. But how…?
In this mid-23rd century world, nobody can hide.
My husband is the chief scientist in the inoculation project and team leader of innovating nanotransponders. This inoculation process, though has stopped the extinction of the human race, the nanotransmitters, when injected into a three-day-old baby, actually makes the person reachable through satellite scanning and modulates its activity and even cures any disease, which the man accrues.
“You must admit, today our life is problem-free. Our ancestors would fight for trivial matters like land, or for almost dumb ideas like religion or freedom. Today, there is one nation, less population and clean environment. Everything is taken care of by the supreme Omnipower,” my husband said.
“But your new research
finding will make a man immortal. Is that desirable?”
“What’s the harm in it? Omnipower will decide about the genius to become immortal. Other people will die after their assigned work is over.”
“But won’t that person feel lonely when others around him die?”
“Loneliness is a state of mind. Our daughter, about to be born in a few days, will be a genius in genetics. One day she will be able to generate chlorophyll in animal body. It will be amazing..”
“Why don’t you try it out first time on animals? Why on my daughter?”
I began crying.
“My dear, you know that animal trials have long been abolished as Omnipower loves all animals and plants as HE loves human beings. And don’t you want our child to roam till this earth survives?”
“But how lonely will she be then?”
My husband did not have any answer.
Motherhood is a wonderful experience. My husband was
delighted a lot more, perhaps, being the proud father of the first immortal being on earth. But that very idea was making me breathless and feebler in fear.
My nanotransmitter will be off for these three days, just to relish motherhood on my own. I am weak, but for my daughter’s sake, I shall have to hide in the forest, where my genetically modified gorillas help humans in cultivation. My daughter will grow up among those primates and will be more human than us.
But why is the doorbell ringing so early? Oh, the inoculation man with my husband has come. I shall have to fly away through the window. But how do I get the Taxifly from this 57th floor window? The doorbell rang louder followed by a thud on the door.
Oh no! They will break the door it seems. “Please, please, is there someone, who can bring a Taxifly beside my window, so that my daughter can get the right to die…”